Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Dreams: The Novels of Our Unconscious

Dreams are an interesting thing. They capture everything from your subconscious and transform it into an interesting journey. According to Freud, dreams represent unconscious desires, thoughts and or motivations. As humans, we go through so much and have so many things running through our heads that it makes sense that these thoughts and emotions may need an outlet.

It makes me wonder how many movies, books or pop culture references were created due to dreams. Stephanie Meyers has been quoted as saying she first got the idea for Twilight from a dream. While I'm not a fan of her work, I will admit that I once was. When the Twilight saga first came out, I was on the bandwagon with many of my fellow peers and Meyers' work is known throughout the world. It's an interesting concept, that a dream created such a sensation in the world.

I woke this morning with a vivid dream still lingering in my brain. From what I can remember, I was at some party and I was unpopular. I crawled into a sort of playhouse that had been sitting on the lawn, and to my surprise, there were three people already in there; two were guys I had gone to high school with. They offered me alcohol, which I accepted. Then the cops showed up and tried to arrest us (for drinking I can only assume), but the girl in the house hid the booze and we made a clean break. Fast forward, and I remember Steven Yeun (Glenn from The Walking Dead) lying on the grass. I went over to talk to him and we kissed. I'm sure there's much I'm forgetting, but the randomness of it left me reeling this morning. So I decided to research it.

According to Dream Moods, this is what my dream may have meant:
  • Alcohol: Signifies feelings of inadequacy, worries, regrets and fears of being discovered for who you really are. Alcohol is a way to escape or excuse something you did.
  • People from HS: Refers to your shadow and other unacknowledged aspects of yourself.
  • Police: Symbolizes structure, rules, power, authority and control. A need to put an end to reckless behavior or failing to honor your obligations and commitments. Being arrested suggests you are sexually or emotionally restrained because of guilt or feeling apprehensive about something.
  • Celebrities: Kissing a celebrity indicates your drive to be successful. The movies you associate this celebrity with are clues as to where or what you want to achieve success in.
So basically, if we believe this, apparently my unconscious self is trying to let me know that I feel inadequate; I don't know who I am; I feel guilty for not honoring commitments; and I want to be successful. Honestly, they may not seem 100% correct, but they all do hold some bearing in my life. I do feel inadequate and not know who I really am at times. I had to blow off a friend who invited me out drinking due to unforeseen circumstances (my white bathtub wanted to be green) and felt bad about missing it. And I do want success! I talk to my friends and parents about how I plan to do this or want to do that all the time. It's interesting, though, that I associate Steven Yeun with The Walking Dead, so I suppose I want to be successful with zombie killing. Or maybe it's the love between his character and Maggie (Lauren Cohan) that I want. Hell, it could just be that he's an awesome and successful guy, and I want to be that cool someday. But it's still interesting to me that our brains can take the crap going on in our heads and construct it into a cool, if not a little confusing story.

Have you had any dreams lately? What do you think they mean?

2 comments:

  1. Dreambible.com is another really good dream dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that one. I'll give it a look!

      Delete